LAKE WHEELER, Ala. — Counting bonus money for daily lunker prizes, Tommy Martin of Hemphill, Texas, pocketed $15,400 for winning the Classic.
Martin's haul of 33 pounds, 7 ounces was enough for him to hold off Roger Moore of Branson, Mo., and made Martin the first pro to win a regular-season tournament and the Classic in the same year.
Martin alternated between a white Weed-Wader spinnerbait (to which he added a trailer hook) and shad-colored crankbaits, Rebel Super-Rs and Bagley Balsa-Bs.
He found most of his success fishing on a steep, rocky bank where the water dropped off from a few feet deep to more than 20 feet.
- The 1974 Classic was Tommy Martin's first. He became the only pro to win a BASS tournament and the Classic in his first year on the trail.
- This was Classic legend Rick Clunn's first world championship event. He finished 16th.
Top 6 finishers
- Tommy Martin Hemphill, Texas, 33-07
- Roger Moore Branson, Mo., 29-01
- Bobby Meador Baton Rouge, La., 24-08
- Ricky Green Arkadelphia, Ark., 22-04
- Charlie Campbell Forsyth, Mo., 22-02
- Roland Martin Tulsa, Okla., 21-07